An easy to make ladoo and a perfect one to have in this weather. Our culture has some very specific foods to be eaten in a particular season. Such foods have a great impact on our health, one such is ladoo made from sesame seeds.
Sesame seeds are rich in Vitamin E that is good for our skin. It is a good source of MUFA, PUFA - may help in reducing the total cholesterol and risk of heart disease.
1 tablespoon of sesame seeds contain up to 87 mg of calcium which makes it one of the richest sources in a vegan diet. During Sankranti, eating til ladoo plus exposure to the sun by flying kites gives our body the required Vitamin D. This in turn helps in maximum absorption of calcium in the body. Not to mention the nutty flavour of these tasty ladoos that makes it difficult to stop at one!
Preparation of Til ke ladoo
Sesame seeds: 1 cup
Peanut: ¼ cup
Dried coconut grated: 2 tablespoon
Jaggery: 1 cup
Cardamom powder: ½ tsp
- Dry roast sesame seeds till it starts spluttering, remove and cool.
- Roast peanuts and coconut until slightly brown. De-skin the peanuts.
- Melt jaggery by adding ¼ cup water, strain, simmer on a medium flame till it becomes a little thick. To test if it is ready, add ½ tsp of jaggery in a bowl of water, if it does not dissolve, it is ready. When we take out the jaggery from the water and roll it between our fingers, it should form a soft ball.
- At that stage, add the sesame seeds, peanuts and coconut. Mix well, cool it a bit
- Wet the palm a bit, take a small amount of the mixture and make small balls out of them.
- As the mixture cools, it will become hardened.
- Enjoy the nutrition rich balls.