What comes to our mind when we say Holi???
Bhang, gujiya, colors, water, fun in the sun :)
Thandai is synonymous with Holi!
Thandai is a milk based sweet drink with lots of dry fruits and flavored spices. The drink is believed to have originated during the mythological era. It was the favorite drink of Lord Shiva. Hence Thandai is popularly consumed either during Holi or during Shivratri.
The first records of Thandai date back to 1000 BC, making it one of the oldest drinks in the country, if not the world.
Another similar version is made in South India especially during the Ugadi (which soon follows Holi), the new year festival of south Indians, called Gas Gase payasa. The main ingredients for this are milk, poppy seeds, almonds, and jaggery.
Be it north or south, the whole idea behind this drink is to consume something that is not only nutritious but also provides a cooling effect to the body. Each ingredient used in thandai preparation has a scientific and health related aspect like -
- Nuts and seeds like watermelon seeds, almonds, pista, cashews provide the proteins, good fats like omega 3, Vitamin E. They are important for good skin and to give protection against the harsh rays of the sun.
- Poppy seeds/khus khus - rich in fiber, aids in digestion and prevents constipation. It also fights insomnia, induces good sleep and also helps to relieve pain. A wonderful addition to thandai, to fight the muscular aches and pains.
- Rose petals and rose water - not only adds that special flavor to the thandai but is a wonderful coolant. It is good for maintaining the skin tone and keeping it moist.
- Spices - saffron, fennel, black pepper, cardamom are excellent for digestion, prevent acidity and gastric issues, and provide the necessary minerals like magnesium, phosphorus and potassium to prevent any electrolyte imbalance commonly seen due to excessive perspiration.
- Milk - for protein and energy, also a medium to help in absorption of all the wonderful nutrients present in thandai.
There are many variations done with respect to the flavours. Although the base ingredients remain the same, other flavours like pan or mango or rose flavours are the new innovations.
If you are looking to try authentic organic thandai powder or gift a bunch of healthy snacks to your friends and family, Nutty Yogi has come up with a Holi gift box that contains thandai powder, thandai nut butter, gulkand, gur chana, rose almonds, an attractive box for your loved ones.
Kashmir ho ya kanyakumari, Thandai is the most loved beverage by people of all ages.
Who said healthy is not tasty!!! Happy Holi everyone!