There is a popular story of a king and his three daughters. The king wanted to test which of the daughters loved him the most and asked them to prove their love for him.
While the first two daughters got precious gifts and jewellery to please their father, the youngest daughter proved her love by not adding salt to the feast prepared for the king.
She explained that her love for her father is equal to salt. Without salt the food tastes bland and none of the flavours are perceptible. Adding salt heightened the flavour of the food and the spices added to it.
Even today, salt is the most important ingredient in any kind of cuisine that you come across.
There are many kinds of salt available in the market. Table salt (common salt), Sendha namak, himalayan pink salt, black salt etc…
One salt which is gaining popularity and for all the right reasons, is Sendha Namak. Rock salt (Sendha namak) in traditional Ayurvedic practices, is used as a home remedy for various digestive ailments, including stomach worms, heartburn, Bloating, constipation, stomach pain, and vomiting.
Rock salt provides all the essential trace minerals and greatly improves the body’s immune system. It contains 84 out of the 92 trace elements required by the body including calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, copper and so on.
Wouldn't it be nice if salt also helped to digest food and prevent bloating and acidity post meal?
Nutty Yogi has come up with Ayurvedic Salt, where the base is Sendha Namak along with fresh, organic Indian spices that can aid in digestion, prevents bloating post meal and helps to manage acidity. Nutty Yogi Ayurvedic salt has spices such as fennel, ajwain, cumin, ginger, black pepper, cardamom which has multiple health benefits.
- Ginger powder is used as a remedy to cure indigestion.
- Black pepper is used to prevent the formation of gases in the gastro-intestinal tract or ease its passing. The alkaloid piperine present in it serves many medicinal purposes. It is digestive, appetiser and also acts as a tonic
- Jeera/Cumin stimulates saliva production, secretion of digestive fluids and excretion of bile, and additionally, it provides increased movement of the intestines, which generally improves digestion
- Ajwain is one of the best herbal wonder drugs for gas, flatulence and indigestion also used in treatment of hyperacidity.
- Cardamom has been shown to reduce indigestion, gas and bloating by stimulating the secretion of digestive enzymes which are activated by smelling and tasting the spice.
A combination of all these spices along with sendha namak gives a wonderful product that can be used in buttermilk/juices/on fruit or vegetable salad. It can also be mixed with warm water and consumed before meals to prevent indigestion and acidity.
Ayurvedic salt is not a replacement to the normal table salt but can be an added benefit if used along with the table salt.
In a nutshell, adding Ayurvedic salt to your daily diet can help to improve your health by keeping the digestive system running smoothly, improving your immunity and adding the essential minerals required for good health.
- Rohini Prasad